Tuesday, December 10, 2013

How Still

O Little Town of Bethlehem

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie.  Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.  Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting light! The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

I have dreamless sleep most nights.  And I suppose the stars are silent every night, too.  At least, I’ve never heard them sing.  But it’s interesting to me that at night is when all worries and fears start to run rampant in my mind, or they surface in the wee hours of the morning, when all is still and all is dark.
 
This carol talks of the darkness of the night, the hopes and fears that arise, and how in one night – the light appears and shines!

All we need is the light of his goodness to appear to us in our darkness, and we have hope.  All we need is for his light to illuminate the unseen future and show us a way to walk, and fear disappears.

My prayer today for you is that your hopes and fears collide tonight, as you see his light of love shine into your darkness.

And then…I hope we both hear the stars sing!


No comments:

Post a Comment