Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Ask Him


James 1:5-8 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you.  But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.  Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

I lack wisdom.  Do you?  Wisdom keeps us out of trouble, wisdom guides our daily decisions, and wisdom focuses our eyes on the eternal.  And God says here that we should ask God for wisdom.

Sometimes, I’d rather God just swoop in and take care of things without my ever lifting a finger.  However, there are times when God wants to speak to me, guide me, and point me in a direction and say “Here, I’ve given you the words of life.  Now walk in them.”

The second half of this passage says that when we ask, we must believe.  In other words, none of these - I don’t deserve it, God won’t speak to me, I’m not good enough - thoughts.  We must believe that God will grant us wisdom.  

A person without wisdom is shaky, tossed about, wishy-washy.  This is why young people often go astray and ruin their lives. 


The first piece of wisdom is to build your house on the Rock, not the Sand.  And Christ is that solid rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment