Monday, September 23, 2013

Prepared and Fruitful

2 Timothy 4: Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

Remember the story of the fig tree back in the book of Mark?  Jesus came to this fig tree and saw that it had no figs, even though the season for figs wasn’t even present yet.  He cursed the tree right then and there.  When I read that story, I wondered why the poor tree was cursed, when it wasn’t even time for figs to appear.

But here in this verse in Timothy, we see that we are supposed to be prepared in season AND out of season.  So I’m guessing, that even if we don’t sense that we are bearing much fruit at any given moment, we need to be “dressed” as though we are! 

So what does that mean? I’m not sure, but maybe we are to be reminded that the Spirit of the Lord lives in us, his word resides in our hearts and minds, and when a need arises to speak up, share, or encourage – we need to do so – whether we feel like it or not!

There are days and even weeks where I don’t feel like doing anything except tending my own business, playing my own tune, and sitting on my own stool.  But if God shows up and sends someone in my path, I better be prepared to listen and obey at the opportune moment – or it will be gone!


Lord, may we realize that we are fruitful at all times, because we are connected to the vine – YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment