Friday, September 20, 2013

By the River

Psalm 1: .... but whose delight is in the law of the Lord, and who meditates on his law day and night. That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither— whatever they do prospers.

Another favorite verse, which is often memorized by many.

I’m not sure that I can say that I actually “delight” in God’s laws, and I know that I don’t “meditate” on them day and night.  And that is precisely why I fall into moments of depression and despair over what I see with my eyes and understand with my finite mind.

God’s ways are perfect, pure, and right.  And his word is life.  So when we rejoice and take delight in these facts, and rehearse his words in our hearts and minds, there is really no room for anything else to reside.

And when we choose to discipline ourselves to delight and meditate (sit and ponder, then get up and dance!), we will be like a tree by a river, full of good fruit, healthy leaves blowing in the wind, and what we do will prosper.

A beautiful piece of art, which depicts a serene scene of a river with healthy trees beside it, is so calming and peaceful isn’t it?


I want to be the tree in that picture, an art form of one of God’s creation that has found her place, is rooted and grounded, and is fruitful – offering shade and covering for all those who pass by – as I sway and bend towards the river of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment