Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Like Rain

Deuteronomy 32: Listen, you heavens, and I will speak; hear, you earth, the words of my mouth.  Let my teaching fall like rain and my words descend like dew, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants.

We’ve been in a drought where I live, and our forecast changed – offering a hope of downpours of rain this weekend.  So I took advantage of that hope and planted my fall flowers and herbs.  Then I waited, and the rain fell.  And I smiled.  Nothing does a garden more good than fresh rain.

These verses tell us that his words are like rain, like showers on new grass, like abundant rain on tender plants. But the thought I had when I read these verses was, “What if we haven’t planted anything?”

If my flower beds were empty and had no seedlings or tender plants, the rain would only wash away the dirt and make for a messy, muddy yard!

When we pray and ask for rain, and when he promises to shower it upon us, it might be wise to plant a few things and watch them grow…namely, our faith.

It pleases God when we plant faith and trust in him.  And when the rains fall, that faith sprouts roots that take hold and produce blossoms and fruit when the sun shines again.


No comments:

Post a Comment