Monday, February 25, 2013

Return


Psalm 116 says “Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.”

To me, this implies that when we are fearful, anxious, and in turmoil we have forgotten for a moment the goodness of God in our lives.

Our souls are prone to wander, just like an hold hymn states (Prone to wander, Lord I feel it…Prone to leave the God I love).  We start looking at circumstances, the possibilities of the danger that might happen, the present needs that stand in our face like a steel wall, and we forget the goodness of God that woke us up this morning and sustains our heartbeat even now, as we spend time with Him.

When I wake up in the morning fretting (as I did today) I have to remind myself of God’s goodness, and sometimes He reminds me.  He’s so good like that.  Today I was fretting about a job for my son, and God reminded me of how he miraculously provided a job for my husband decades ago.  This boosted my faith and brought me back to a place of rest.

Rest isn’t the absence of need.  Oh, how I often wish that were the case.  Rest is acknowledging that the Lord is good, reminding yourself of specific ways that He’s been good. And somehow when we do that – it’s like pulling up a rock climber when he’s slipped and fallen.  It allows us to once again place our feet on a ledge, our hands on the Rock, and climb a little higher next time.

Return to your rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment