Monday, February 18, 2013

Resting on Us


The book of Numbers also talks of the Spirit “resting” on people.  I’ve heard that phrase as well, with the Spirit resting upon us to anoint us to do whatever it is He tells us to do.

However, many times I’ve heard and observed those “in the Spirit” looking more like they were set on fire and these folks say the Spirit just “hit” them!  This may sound comical, but it seems to me that I’m more attracted to having something “rest” or light on me like a beautiful butterfly pausing to rest, rather than being hit in the head by a diving insect looking for food.

When His Spirit is resting upon our shoulders, the burdens we carry are not heavy.  He carries them.  When His Spirit rests in our minds, the thoughts we think do not tax our heart.  And when His Spirit rests in our spirit, we are in agreement with Him, awesome things take place – not out of our strength – but because of Him.

I think I’m one who’s prone to swatting at the Spirit when it shows up, because I don’t recognize it as coming to rest, but seeking to dive at me.  The Holy Spirit – sure it sets us on fire – but it’s not a burning fire that causes us to flinch and yell, “Ouch!” It’s a holy fire that burns brightly and consumes everything impure in and around us – so that we rest by the firelight – with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment