Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Reaction or Rest?


Did you know Solomon was called a man of peace and rest?  (I Chronicles 22:9).  Solomon is mostly known for his wisdom.  He could have asked God for riches and all sorts of temporal things, but he asked for wisdom…which was granted to him.

I’d like to be known at the end of my days as a woman of peace and rest, but I know that so far that would not be my description.  I do like to keep the peace, but usually I’m striving to do that…trying to please everyone.  And that might make for peace for everyone else – but certainly not for me! 

Back to Solomon. Surely the wisdom that he asked for and received must be at least one of the keys to this man being describes as a man of peace and rest. 

Wisdom results in wise choices and implies that we’ve sought counsel before acting.  Many times I know that when I react to circumstances or wild thoughts, wisdom is nowhere to be found nor sought. 

Reacting is like when the doctor hits your knee and it jerks forward.  There’s no thought prior to the action, it’s just a reaction to being hit.  So when I react to a hit in life and exhibit a knee-jerk reaction – there’s no wisdom involved – it’s just a jerk.

A woman of peace and rest – wouldn't that be a great description?  But it must require that we seek after wisdom, and it must include seeking wise counsel before acting, and it must result in acting out of knowing that God’s ways are best, God’s hand is strong, and God’s hand will lead.  

And that is rest – not a knee-jerk reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment