Friday, February 19, 2016

Questions

Psalm 27 is titled a “psalm of fearless trust in God” so I want to read it and pick it apart over the next few days…

Verse 1 says The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?

What makes you fearful?  What do you dread?  I think many of us would answer that the uncertainty of life makes us fearful, and we dread things like sickness, failure, loss, etc.  I mean, who isn’t afraid and who doesn’t dread those things?

But David (the writer of Psalm) starts out by stating the truth that the Lord is his light AND salvation.  That’s how we win the battle of fear every time, by stating the truth.

Light dispels darkness.

Salvation rescues the falling.

Therefore, all of the things that lurk in the dark to bring us fear and those things we dread that “might” come upon us really have no ability to come near us because of Him – our Defense.

When playing a game of football, the Defense is responsible for keeping the other team from scoring a goal.  But sometimes the other team breaks through and crosses the line for a score.  However, God is our constant defender and promises that though we’re in a battle for the win, He’s already won, and all we have to do is run well.

Let’s start out this day with the truth about who God is and see how our fear factor wanes...


No comments:

Post a Comment