Saturday, March 8, 2014

I Call

Psalm 55:16,17 As for me, I call to God, and the Lord saves me. Evening, morning and noon I cry out in distress,and he hears my voice.

My son used to call out from his bedroom every night, as he drifted off to sleep.  Often, it was for a drink of water.  Sometimes, it was for another hug, or another song, or a plea to let him sleep in our room.  And there were times when we gave him another drink, and another hug, and another song.  But often, we reminded him that God loved him, we were just in the next room, and he was going to be okay.

The writer of these verses states that he calls to God in the evening, morning and at noon.  And God hears him every time.  I know that I call on God multiple times throughout the day, when I’m in distress.  And I know he hears me.

But sometimes, I think God might just want to still my cry and whisper to me that he does hear me, and he is right there beside me, even though I feel afraid and alone.  There are times he comforts me with a verse (a drink), another hug (a comforting thought), or his nearness (overwhelming presence.)

However, there are times when he is silent.  

And I have to know, just like I wanted my own son to know, that my father's silence is not his absence.  It’s just that it’s time for me to lie still and sleep, knowing all is well.


No comments:

Post a Comment