Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Questions and Answers

Psalm 139 might be one of my favorite chapters in the Bible.  Here’s a piece of it:

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?  If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.  If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, Even there Your hand will lead me,
And Your right hand will lay hold of me. If I say, “Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,” Even the darkness is not dark to You,
And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.


Again, the psalmist is asking himself questions.  It’s good to do that sometimes, to ask ourselves questions aloud, and then listen for the answer.

He realizes after he asks his questions that God’s presence is with him wherever he goes.  He doesn’t  stop leading him, he doesn’t stop pursuing him, and he doesn’t abandon him in the darkness.

In fact, he goes on to state the truth about God’s character and his power – that darkness is not even dark to Him (remember he created the light and separated it from the dark?) and night is nothing to fear (remember he set the sun to set and the moon to rise) – it’s all the same to Him.  Nothing looms in the dark that cannot be dispelled by the light.


Take comfort in knowing that He is with you and that the morning is coming…and in his presence you can rest and be and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment