Friday, June 7, 2013

The Position of Clay

Isaiah 64 says “Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, you are the potter;we are all the work of your hand.”

I’ve grown up singing songs about being clay in the Potter’s hands, where we ask Him to mold us and make us into vessels he can use.  And I’ve seen the painting of the old potter’s hands as he takes a broken vessel, reshapes, reforms, and makes it brand new.  I get it.

But is there more to this verse than that?

I like the positional truth of this verse – He’s the potter, the one who turns the wheel, decides on the ingredients of the vessel, and has a shape in mind for each one – unique and beautiful.  I, on the other hand, am the clay.  I cannot make myself into anything unless the Potter takes me into his loving hands.  I dare not tell the Potter what ingredients to use, or the use of my future shape and purpose, or even complain at the time it takes to mold me, shape me, fire me, and use me.

It’s He who knows our future and holds it in his hands.  If we realize His position as One who looks over and cares for us so gently and completely, and our position as one whose only job is to remain pliable – we might find that His hands feel good as he puts us on the wheel and spins us round and round.


Yes, I know He’s the Potter and I’m the clay, but I also really like it that way. (No rhyme intended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment