Thursday, June 20, 2013

Afraid

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise—
in God I trust and am not afraid. (Psalm 56)

This verse is interesting to me, because when I’m afraid I know I need to trust in God, but it seems to be hardest thing to do when fear settles in for the night. 

I want to put my trust in the assurance that the situation bringing me fear is going to end by morning.  I want to place my trust in someone or something to fix the problem so that the fear is gone.  I want to trust that God “cares enough” to take care of me.

None of the above placements produce peace, because there is no assurance, nor fix, nor knowledge that banishes fear.  The only thing that banishes fear is trust in God – His word – in Him – alone.

Sounds mystical and impossible, but when we really know God’s character, we can sleep in a boat with a storm raging all around, knowing that one word from Him can calm the storm…or calm our hearts.  Either outcome is a miracle.


Are you afraid?  Close your eyes and think of placing your fears in a brown paper bag and laying it at His feet.  Read His Word and offer up praise to the God who is in control. Then trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment