Monday, November 25, 2013

Here We Come a Caroling....

It’s one month until Christmas.  For the next four weeks+ I’m going to write about a Christmas carol each night.  Why? It’s because every year I hear of another person who “hates” Christmas songs, and I wonder if it’s because they’re played too often in a concentrated amount of time, or if the joy and hope expressed seems unreal…or what?

As we look at the carols together, I hope we all become enthralled with the message in each one…or perhaps realize that some of them indeed are hokey and not worth listening to!

Did you know the word “carol” means a song of praise and joy?  I didn’t.

I happen to love carols and caroling.  I love the whole idea of gathering with friends to visit neighbors and sing at their front doors, songs of hope and good cheer.  I love the idea that singing Christmas carols signals to those who hear that something is coming…a time of celebration and joy…a time of giving.

Many people don’t like Christmas, they despise caroling, and they can’t wait until the season of “joy” is over, because the pain in their lives is so much stronger than the joy…at the moment.

So for those friends and neighbors, I pray that this season renews the joy and wonder of the Christ child who came to save the world from sin.  Because I am one of those sinners, saved by grace, and I can’t help but sing about it, loud and clear on a cold winter’s night…because the Son of God lives set me free.


No comments:

Post a Comment