Monday, May 20, 2013

Why There?


Psalm 149 Let his faithful people rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their beds.

I have read this verse many times, and today I’m thinking about the last part, “sing for joy on their beds.”

Why on our beds?

I don’t know about you, but in my bed is where my thoughts swirl.  It’s where I start to wind down for the night and fall asleep.  But if hard times are pressing, worrisome thoughts are pestering, and anger is stewing, I can’t go to sleep.  It seems all things bad seem worse…at night.

It’s the same experience in the morning.  If I lie awake too long in my bed when I awake in the morning, my mind starts swirling again.  Thoughts of what I need to do, what I didn’t do, and what others expect me to do, dominate.

The verse says to rejoice “in this honor” and then sing.  What honor?
Right before this verse, we are reminded that the Lord takes delight in his people and crowns us with victory.  That’s the honor in which we are to rejoice.

So when you lie down to sleep, or when you awake to a new day – start and finish by rejoicing in His love for you and sing for joy in your bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment