Sunday, May 19, 2013

Joyful Obedience



Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.  My heart is set on keeping your decrees to the very end.

Statutes don’t sound like something that would make a person joyful…do they?  Just the word “statute,” (which are laws and rules) sounds taxing, heavy, and carries with it a picture of a shaking finger telling us what to do/not to do.  And yet, this writer says they are his heritage and the joy of his heart.

Say what?

Jesus says when we come to him, his yoke is easy and his burden is light.  And that’s because he carries our burdens for us, so all we have to do is link up with Him and we’re free to run.
 
Jesus does not stand wagging a finger at us, directing us and ordering us to obey him.  He does, however, give us instruction and commands that if we follow – we are blessed. There’s a blessing that comes from obedience.

Just like we parents are pleased when our kids follow our rules (which are put into place for their safety and security), Jesus is pleased when we too trust that his rules are our delight.

I sometimes don’t care for God’s way, but it’s only because my understanding is limited. 

Lord, I pray you would give me eyes to see the heritage that comes from obeying your statutes, and how in doing so I can experience joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment