Thursday, May 30, 2013

Just Worthless

Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless.

Wow, what a strong word, quite sobering.

My tongue is the hardest thing on my physical body to tame, except for maybe my mind.  This verse seems to imply that the tongue is like a wild horse that has to be reined in at all times.  And if it’s allowed to run wild? Well then, that which we profess to others is worthless.

This also reminds me of the love chapter found in I Corinthians 13.  We can do great exploits for Christ and give all that we have for a cause, but without love we are nothing.  Again – strong words.

I feel really bad when I allow my tongue to gossip, tear down, or flatter.  It happens daily.  It happens when my mind starts churning about an offense, a hurt or insecurity in my own view of myself, or when fear rises its ugly head.  Those things, unattended to, seem to set my tongue out of the gate, like a calf in a rodeo.

If we can take captive the thoughts that tangle up our emotions, I believe we can tame our tongue.

We have the mind of Christ, if we believe.  But we have to train our minds to think on good things, and we have to read good things, so that we have them to think about.  Read about forgiveness and offer it to those that offended you, read about His great love and how much He adores you, and rest in the peace he offers to you daily as you rest in the knowledge of the goodness of your Father.

Then your tongue will only wag to sing praises to Him…


No comments:

Post a Comment