Monday, July 28, 2014

Put it There

Psalm 56 says, When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You. In God, whose word I praise, In God I have put my trust; I shall not be afraid. What can mere man do to me?

It seems to me that most of us think “mere” man can do an awful lot to us!  We are afraid of what others think when we act, or when we dress a certain way, or when we speak up.  We are afraid of those who have certainly abused us or hurt us in some way.  Mere man can be quite terrifying!

But yet this passage starts by saying, when we are afraid, we must put our trust in God – his word – and the fear will leave.

Trust doesn’t really come naturally to me, and I have to choose daily to actually PUT my trust in God.  In fact, we all do.

Our flesh wants to trust in the goodness of others, in the kindnesses of those around us, and in the inherent friendship of those we hang around.  However, there’s nothing inherently good in any of us, and we as humans fail each other.  And because we fail, we sometimes hurt others so terribly that they become afraid of relationships.

We don’t have to fear God.  We can place our trust in Him, like placing a document in a safety deposit box, and no fire, no intruders and no disasters can pry it from his hand.

He is worthy of our praise, and when we praise Him, we are declaring our trust in his Word.


Don’t be afraid.  Put your trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment