Sunday, July 13, 2014

A-S-K

Matthew 7 – a great verse on prayer – one we like to quote and see in action!

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 

As I was growing up, I thought this verse meant if I asked, I would receive that which I asked for. If I sought I would find that which I was looking for, and if I knocked, the door I was knocking on would open to me…and life would be grand!

That’s NOT what this verse says. 

Yes, we will receive, we will find, and doors will open.  But we have to accept that which he gives (sometimes it’s grace to endure a while longer), be surprised with what he shows us that we find (sometimes it’s not what we were seeking for at all – but rather was he wants to reveal to us), and enter the door He opens (and not the one we pushed on.)

This is the reality of a true relationship of a daughter with her father, a son with his dad.  He comes to him and asks for a $20 bill but the father has wisdom to know if he’s ready to spend that wisely, or if $5 will be sufficient…for now. 

God wants us to ask, seek, and knock.  And he promises to meet our needs.  But we have to learn to TRUST him and his answers, his direction, and his open doors.

This takes time, believing in his Word as the one and only truth, and faith that he is a good heavenly Father that does not give us a snake when we ask for a fish.


Today…ask.  Today…seek. Today…knock.  Then receive…find…and walk into his presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment