Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Love Metaphor

I Corinthians 13 is known as the “love chapter” in the Bible because it defines what love is.  The first verse says this:

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.

What an interesting metaphor here.  When I hear a gong or a clanging cymbal I want to cover my ears.  It’s a horrible, offensive sound and indicates something is off.

I suppose it’s the same when we hear words that are just words, without any action behind them.  Even lofty words, intelligent phrases, and angelic tunes can come out of our mouths – but without love – they are offensive.

Gongs and clanging cymbals ruin the sound of an orchestra or band.  Listeners will get up and leave, those in the band will oust the one who’s offensive, and it will be hard to find a place anywhere when we are loud and hurtful to the ears…or heart.

As we journey through this chapter, the closer we get to the “love day” of February 14, I hope we all gain a better understanding of, and a greater desire for, love that comes from knowing God.

Today, before we speak, may we listen to the melody being played around us and determine if what we have to say contributes to the song, or completely shuts down the music.


No comments:

Post a Comment