Friday, January 24, 2014

Patient & Kind

I Corinthians 13:4a - Love is patient, love is kind.

Hmmmm, I can remember many times as a parent of my small children when I was not patient one bit.  I wanted my children to act right, sit up straight, and do it now.  However, usually the more I pushed them to perform (so that I wouldn’t be embarrassed) the more they bucked.  Could it be that love was not behind my discipline?

Hmmmm, I remember times when I’ve wanted my husband to meet all of my needs and in a timely fashion, in a way that I enjoyed, and when he failed to do so – I for sure let him know.  However, I was often disappointed anyway.  Could it be that if I’d been kind and loving, he would have responded in like manner?

If we write the opposite of this verse, it would say “Love is not impatient, love is not mean.”

Impatience.
Meanness.

The first two part of both words are “I” and “Me” – which is usually our focus when we are impatient and mean.

Lord, may we love patiently and kindly, because that is how you first loved us.



No comments:

Post a Comment