Thursday, January 23, 2014

Nothing

I Corinthians 13:3  If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

This chapter gets more and more interesting, as we read. 

Many celebrities give to the poor, but I’m not sure I’ve heard of one giving all they possess.  They still show up at awards shows in diamonds and glitter.  And some Christians give their bodies to hard labor in the Kingdom, yet boast in what they do – instead of in the one who enables them to do.  Both of these are not examples of love.

Another place in the bible it says when we give, we are not to let our left hand know what our right hand is doing!  (Matthew 6:3).  And the bible also says that when we boast, our boasting should be in Him, not in ourselves.

The reason we want others to see what we’re doing and recognize us is rooted in our own need for affirmation and love.  But when we boast in ourselves, we “gain nothing,” except people who reject us and run away.

God sees when we give, and he loves it when we give cheerfully, without bringing attention to ourselves or what we’re doing.

It’s then that we gain wisdom – when we give out of love for Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment