Friday, January 17, 2014

Loving Eyes

Psalm 32 says this: I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you. Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.

God’s loving eyes are on us.  Isn’t that awesome?  And when he instructs us and directs us, every path and every counsel he gives us is rooted in his love.  This is unlike the counsel we might get from others, which often is rooted in hidden agendas.

The next part of the passage is one of those loving instructions – to not be like a horse or mule that has to be controlled by bit and bridle.

God wants us to come after him, follow his leading, walking under his ever loving eye.  But if we won’t listen, if we choose to be stubborn, then the bit and bridle might come out and “force” us to come with him.

A horse owner who trains his animal is not cruel.  He trains him for a race, or to be used on a farm, or for riding safely with his children.  The horse who learns quickly to obey his owner’s voice doesn’t require the bit and bridle.

I want to take his counsel, walk under his guidance, and be keenly aware of his loving eye.  But when I don’t do these things, I know his great love will train me so that I will.


No comments:

Post a Comment