Thursday, August 1, 2013

Support Beams

Proverbs 19:13 - A foolish child is a father’s ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like the constant dripping of a leaky roof.

I've been writing in the past days about the covering and protection that roofs provide to a home.  And in this verse we see that the roof has a leak.

It’s interesting to me that the protecting and covering of the home are provided by the husband through God, and yet it’s the wife that can cause this covering to spring a leak. 

I’ve been quarrelsome myself at times.  I don’t think this means having an argument once in a while, but rather being prone to or characterized by quarreling.  In other words, this wife stirs up arguments as part of her day to day life.  I picture it as blowing hot air out of her mouth so much that it melts the roof and causes a leak.  She wears her husband down through belittling, accusing, despising, and poking so that his covering over her is less than adequate.

We all have our place in the running of our home, and if each does his/her part it runs well.  But even if our husband doesn’t do his part of covering us well, it does no good to quarrel him into doing it.

If a quarrelsome wife is like dripping on a roof, then I think a praying wife would be like adding support beams under the roof. 


Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment