Sunday, August 18, 2013

To Sum it All Up

Philippians 4: 18-19 …I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.

Paul ends this chapter by stating how those to whom he’s writing have been faithful to support him in his ministry by giving.  He commends them and tells them how their giving was a pleasant aroma to God, and that it pleased him.
 
When we give to those who serve us, God is pleased.  When we supply the needs of others out of the abundance of what we have received, it pleases God.  And when we listen to and obey his commands, and think on things that are above all of the things we see with our eyes, peace is ours.  That’s the gist of this chapter.

But the last sentence in the above passage is one that is quoted over and over again to people in need, to encourage them to believe that Jesus is the supplier of all that we need.

Sometimes we think we need money, and we need it now.  Other times we believe hard for healing, and it doesn’t come.  And still other times we ask for direction and we really don’t hear an answer.

Our needs are sometimes deeper than the tangible things we see.  We might need to wait, so that we become more perfect in our faith.  The healing of our heart may be on the top of the list, before the healing of healing of our body.  And maybe the direction we need is to be still and quiet, to rest in Him.

I do know that God’s riches are vast, unsurpassed, and innumerable…and he says they all belong to me…because of Son.  So when I ask, I must believe that he will reward me in due time…in his time…and supply all that I need…as He knows best.

And contentment and peace is mine (the greatest riches of all) if I think on these things.


No comments:

Post a Comment