Saturday, August 17, 2013

Through Him

Philippians 4:13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

This is my daughter’s favorite verse, and I’ve watched her mature and grow, leaning into the truth of what this verse says many times. She grabbed a hold of the fact that Christ in her was greater than the disappointments in life.

My daughter played volleyball until she quit growing, and all the other girls were taller, and until money ran out for us to continue club ball.  She tried out for the team again and didn’t make it.  She tried out for a club team and was cut. Devastation was her emotion for a while.

But I watched her stand back up, march into the coach’s office and ask to be the manager of the team because she wanted to support those who did make the team.

I don’t even know if I could have done that, but she was incredibly strong in her faith in the One who made her.  And even though she was petite and small in frame, she was tall and strong in her faith.

Herein lies the secret to contentment.  When it appears that we have failed, we rely on the one who gives us strength to carry on boldly and with our heads held high.  And when it appears that we have succeeded, we give all the glory to the same one who lives within us.

In all we do, we realize it’s all because of Him, and that settles our soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment