Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Stay Here


II Kings 4 - And a well-to-do woman was there, who urged him to stay for a meal. So whenever he came by, he stopped there to eat. She said to her husband, “I know that this man who often comes our way is a holy man of God. Let’s make a small room on the roof and put in it a bed and a table, a chair and a lamp for him. Then he can stay there whenever he comes to us.

This is another example of a godly woman making room for a godly man on the roof of her house.  She recognized this man (Elisha) as being a “holy man of God” and she wanted to make him welcome in her home anytime he was near.

It so happens that this same woman had no children, so Elisha prayed and she bore a child.  Later, this child died.  Elisha showed up, prayed, and the boy came to life again. What an incredible story of faith, despair, hope, and a miracle.

I can’t help but wonder if the lady had not obeyed and prepared a place for this man of God if she would have experienced her miracle.  Perhaps she would have.  But the cool thing about the story is that she recognized the presence of God.  And even when her son passed, she stated, “Everything is all right.” (vs 24).  This woman had incredible faith.

I hope that I recognize the presence of God when it’s near, and I hope that I  make room for his presence to reside where I live, covering me, protecting me and being there for me…always. 


No comments:

Post a Comment