Thursday, July 25, 2013

Make a Roof

I’m starting a study today on the word “roof” in the bible.  Odd, I know, but I invite you to come along with me as I get to the verse about a roof that has been on my mind. I’m hoping to gain clarity about it as we go!

Genesis 6:15-17 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be three hundred cubits long, fifty cubits wide and thirty cubits high. Make a roof for it, leaving below the roof an opening one cubit high all around. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks. I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish.

A roof represents covering.  Without a roof, the walls and floor of a home really offer no more than a shell of protection. It’s the roof that covers and keeps out rain, critters, and any other intruders from taking up residence in our house.

This first reference to the word roof is when God instructed Noah how to build the ark.  God was about to destroy all of the wickedness in the world, but prior to this verse it says that Noah was righteous, blameless, and followed God. 

God always provides covering and protection for those who follow him, even if all hell breaks loose around us.  Even if certain death is imminent.  Even if we can’t see two feet in front of us.

God made provision for Noah and those inside the boat to be covered with a roof, so that the flood waters could not come over and swallow them up.


Pretty cool story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment