Monday, July 29, 2013

View from the Roof

I Samuel 9 - After they came down from the high place to the town, Samuel talked with Saul on the roof of his house. They rose about daybreak, and Samuel called to Saul on the roof, “Get ready, and I will send you on your way.” When Saul got ready, he and Samuel went outside together.

We discussed a few days ago how the roofs of houses were often protected with a low wall, so oftentimes people took their guests up there to rest or to converse.  Such is the case here.  Samuel had dined with Saul, and now he was conversing with him on the roof of his house, early in the morning. 

If we tried this gesture to our guests in our culture, they might think we are crazy – and we would be!  Especially if our roof is sloped!  But stop and think how cool it would be to take your guests to a high place that overlooks your neighborhood, early in the morning, to chat a while before they leave.

Talking on a roof, where we can look far and wide, instead of inside a home, where we can only see what’s just out the window, sounds like a great way to gain perspective where we live.  The roof was more than just a covering; it was a place where business took place, where conversations and plans were made, and where preparations began for a journey.

I can’t necessarily climb on my roof physically for a fresh perspective, but God often calls me to a “higher” place with him where I sit and see things from his perspective.  And this time with him gives me comfort, peace, and direction as I step back down to level ground and begin my day.

Enjoy some time with him up on the roof, today.


No comments:

Post a Comment