Thursday, December 18, 2014

Unspeakable

II Corinthians 9:15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.

Have you ever received a gift from someone that rendered you speechless?  I’m not sure I have.  I suppose if I won a car, a trip, and a million dollars on Wheel of Fortune I might not know what to say.  That would be a gift beyond what I’ve ever received before. 

My parents are giving our family a gift of a trip together this holiday, and I’m amazed at their generosity and humbled that I get to be part of such a beautiful gift of family, but I’m not speechless. 

This verse, however, says that when we give thanks to God, we can notice the great gift he’s given in his Son, and we can be silent in awe at his great love.

“Silent night, holy night, all is calm, all is bright…”

Close your eyes and sing that carol, shut out the noises and the lights of the season and forget about the spending and the gift wrap.  Begin to give thanks to God for his son Jesus, and receive that gift afresh and anew daily, amid all the chaos that surrounds you.

Sit in silence, speechless, as you consider the best gift of all.

One of the best things you can do for yourself, your family, and for Him is to honor him with your silence as you sit in reverence and awe at the beauty of the season brought to us by Jesus Christ.

When we take five to do this throughout the day, we will be more pleasant, less stressed, and super thankful – and this peace will permeate our house – so that our entire family is blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment