Tuesday, December 16, 2014

But...it's Free

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

I LOVE the contrast in this verse:

Wages are something we earn by working, doing, meeting deadlines, making a profit, etc.  We put out our best effort, and if we have a kind boss, we receive just wages that might meet our needs.  But after the bills are paid, we need more wages.  So we work some more.

Free gifts are just lying there for the taking, they’re screaming “Take me!” and all we have to do is pick them up.  They are non-discriminatory because they are free to all, to those who pass by, to those who dare to reach and take the tasty morsel, to those who desire to be blessed.

I love it when I pass by Auntie Anne’s Pretzels and one of the workerss is handing out a free taste of that buttery goodness.  I just had a sample yesterday, and it made me smile, it tasted great, and it made me want more.

Jesus does not demand that we put out in order for him to put in his salvation.

It’s ours if we just believe, it’s free, and it’s a gift we’re reminded about every Christmas.

I’m so very thankful I live in a community that still plays Christmas carols, still places manger scenes in their yards, and still says “Merry Christmas” with a smile (at least most of the time.)

This time of year we are reminded what a small distance our wages go.  We budget, we look for sales, and we spend in order to bless others, worried that we won’t have enough to pay bills when the spending is done.

Not so with the free gift of Jesus – it’s the gift that’s on the tray – and he’s offering you a bite.


Taste and see that He is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment