Saturday, March 9, 2013

Zeal Personified


The next story told in John 2 is really one of my favorites in the Bible.  Jesus goes into the temple and found people using it for their own gain, rather than worshiping his Father.  All of a sudden, zeal rose up inside of Jesus and he made a whip and drove these people out, including their belongings; and he turned over the tables of those who were exchanging money.

Anger, uncontrolled, is deadly.  We know that and we even have anger management classes for those who cannot control themselves when anger rises.  However, righteous indignation at injustice and wrongdoing is personified in Jesus’ actions in this story.

It’s zeal that causes a father to run after a moving car that’s been stolen, knowing his child is in the back seat.  It’s zeal that rises in a mother when she throws herself on top of a child when a building is collapsing around her.  And it’s zeal when we rise up to stand against anything that harms others – especially the name of our Lord.

I am sad when those who know Christ and his love and mercy only pour out judgment and condemnation on those who don’t believe.  And I hope it angers me enough, and stirs me to move, so that I rise up and proclaim the truth about who Jesus is, even in the midst of all kinds of wrong, and demonstrate the zeal of God within me to love others as Christ loved the church.

The zeal of God - let it consume me.

No comments:

Post a Comment