Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Closing the Cracks


I’m thinking of the book of John today, the book that I encourage new Christians to read.  And I think it’s a good read for those who are “seasoned” Christians as well, because it reaffirms the very basic truths of our relationship with Him – and that’s always good to reestablish from time to time.

My house has cracks that appear in the wall throughout the year, especially when it hasn’t rained in a long time.  They are very unsightly, until the rain comes.  It has to come more than a sprinkle though, it has to rain for days, soaking the ground, until the cracks in the wall close up and disappear.

I too get cracks in my heart from time to time when I’m spiritually dry from a period of struggle, or just from lack of spending time with Him.  And a sprinkle won’t do.  I need a good soaking for days in order for those cracks of doubt, disappointment, fear, etc. to close back up and for my house to be secure once again.
That’s what the book of John is like – a good soaking on some dry ground.

John 1 says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.  In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind.  The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”

That’s the first day of rain for me – He was then, He is now, and nothing ever goes on my life without being under his watchful eye -  with his light shining into the deepest darkness in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment