Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Roof

November 16, 2012 Through laziness, the rafters sag; because of idle hands, the house leaks. (Ecclesiastes) I love little sayings and quotes that are packed full of things to think about, ponder, and reflect upon. This is one of them. Can’t you just see the picture? A guy is in his big Lazy Boy chair, eating Doritos and drinking Coke, watching sports …all at the same time the ceiling is about to fall in? What about the rest of the picture, where the gal’s is in the other room on the phone gossiping, making up stories about friends, then seeing her house in disarray she still chooses to flip through the pages of the latest People Magazine. I realize that story is a bit sexist, and it could for sure be turned around the other way, and the story is a bit extreme, but that’s the picture I saw. What picture do you see? After the literal view, I then saw a picture of a spiritual house, one without ceilings or walls, but with sagging rafters and leaky roofs. We are responsible, as adults and as parents, for the covering to our homes. And sitting around spiritually doing nothing, filling our own hearts and minds, but not giving out to others creates the Lazy Boy effect. Spending time complaining and talking about the state of things instead of tending to the spiritual growth of our children, and living by example in front of them, creates leaks in our roofs. And pretty soon, the roof falls in…and we blame HIM. I’m never writing to others any more than I’m writing to myself. This quote reminds me that I need to look up and take notice of my roof and see if it’s in need of repair. And then I need to get up and fix it. God, with your help give me strength and motivation to cover my family and kids in prayer and by example

No comments:

Post a Comment