Thursday, November 1, 2012

Stretched Out

November 2, 2012



I grew up in a church where we always stretched out our hands in worship, and to pray for people.  It doesn’t seem odd to me, yet I often wondered why we did it, and why the church where I attend now still does it.  

Throughout the book of Exodus, Moses stretches out his hands to God (at God’s instruction) and God then stretches out his hand to bring the next plague upon the evil king who refused to let God’s people go.  These verses repeatedly read, “spread out my hands” when referring to Moses and his actions as he prayed and God acted.

All I know is that without our hands, some of us are speechless. Somehow our hands are connected to our words.  And I also know that hands show attitude.  A clinched fist demonstrates anger, pointing fingers indicate accusation, and we all know about the raised finger that’s an insult to others. 

Hands are important parts of our anatomy, and I believe when mine are raised and open towards the heavens, my attitude is one of “You are the One, You are It. So be it.”  And when my hands are open and stretched out to a neighbor I’m saying, “Let me share what I have with you.” And when I reach out my hand to touch a sick friend, I’m declaring, “Be healed.”

And the cool thing is that as I reach out, He reaches down, and with one extension of his Hand – evil kings surrender – and people walk free.

God, may my hands ever be open in surrender to your awesomeness and power unleashed in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment