Sunday, November 4, 2012

Eggshell in the Mix



November 5, 2012

I’ve been writing daily about “hands” but today I digress.  I want to keep it real, and today some reality hit me in the face.

Have you ever made brownies, or a cake, or even worse – a quiche – and you started cracking the eggs, only to drop in pieces of eggshell into the mixture?  I know I have. And I wouldn’t even think of letting that eggshell remain in the batter.  Not only would it be embarrassing for a guest to bite down and discover the piece, it would be unpleasant for yourself if you bit into it!

Today I bit on the eggshell that I had left in the batter 30 years ago.  It’s one of those pieces left in the mix that I should have dug out long ago, but I didn’t.  This “brownie” has been baking a long time and today I took a bite – and there it was – the eggshell.

If I haven’t completely lost you by now, the piece of the eggshell in the batter represents that stray piece that’s left after you’ve been broken, that piece you never dealt with, that fragment or tiny sliver of hatred, bitterness, etc. that you never fished out…because you thought it would never be discovered.

Hebrews 12 says, “Therefore…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us…" That means when you’re mixing it up, you fish out the pieces that break and land in the mixture, so you can run well…unencumbered.  

Lord, thank you for revealing the eggshell today, and even though it’s been elusive for years…I’m throwing it out today.

1 comment:

  1. Marcy,

    I always enjoy reading your writings ... they make me think.

    I'm such a terrible cook - when I crack eggs into my mix, the shells shatter into tiny shards, too many for me to find. I've spent years, chasing after little pieces, only to watch them slide right back in. I'm such a mess - I think only Blood will wash away all the tiny, painful slivers from the mix. Messes like me are so lucky to have Him - I could never be a good enough cook on my own.

    By the way, a mention of grace in one of your writer's blogs, which I would never have read without your magazine, has already been a blessing to me. I'm grateful.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete