Monday, July 4, 2016

Inclined

Jeremiah 17:23 is the opposite of what we read a couple of days ago:

Yet they did not listen or incline their ears, but stiffened their necks in order not to listen or take correction.

I remember when I was a teenager I would hum a tune in my head to “tune out” my mom when she was disciplining me too long.  I didn’t want to hear what she had to say.

It’s a sad day when we do that to our God. 

Notice, we have to “incline” our ears (turn toward him), loosen our necks (turn toward him) and listen and receive his correction (turn toward him)!

Hearing God requires an action on our part, of turning toward Him, face to face, listening to his kind instruction and discipline, and then nodding and agreeing with what He says.


God is not like our earthly parents, who sometimes discipline out of anger.  

God is the very definition of love, and we can trust that what he says is true and trustworthy to be obeyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment