Saturday, January 9, 2016

Lay it Down

I just read the definition of “guilt” and it has two – one is a noun – one is a verb.

When we’ve committed a crime or offense, we then feel guilty for what we’ve done.  Those actions, when we repent, are forgiven, and we no longer have to carry guilt for them.  That guilt is not my struggle.  But maybe it’s yours.  You don’t have to carry it.

The second definition is a verb where we try to “guilt” someone into something by inducing them to perform.  This is the guilt I struggle with, the guilt of my thoughts that “if” I don’t do this or that, then I’m displeasing  Him.

This second kind of guilt I never even read about in the Bible on my search for the word “guilt.”  Guilt from sin, from committing acts against others, is self-imposed guilt and is understandable…we all experience it at times.  But guilt where God “induces” us or manipulates us into action by making us “feel” guilty isn’t see in his character… AT ALL.
God doesn’t guilt us into action.  People do that.

I’m going to try and remember this the next time I feel like I’m not performing up to speed.

Guilt tells me that if I don’t perform, I won’t be approved of or loved.  

And that kind of guilt can get heavy enough until it determines the way I walk – head down with a heavy heart.

But guilt that comes when I know I’ve sinned, results in my heart turning and repenting, because that’s God’s way – to restore and heal and remove the shame.

I’m still thinking and learning about the difference between self-imposed guilt and guilt that comes from Him – oh wait – guilt is not from HIM!


Then that means I can lay it down…

No comments:

Post a Comment