Monday, January 25, 2016

God Speaks

God speaks to Abraham again,
And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.”  Then he believed in the Lord; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness. 
Can you imagine hearing God give you a promise like this one?  Descendants more numerous than the stars in the sky.
I don’t know that I would have even considered that that kind of promise would be real, I think I might wonder if I was hearing correctly.
However, the verse says Abraham believed it.  It says he believed in the Lord, and then the Lord counted that as righteousness.
I’m not sure I’ve ever heard in my prayer time a promise of such huge proportions.  Maybe it’s because I don’t expect that sort of thing. 
I believe in the Lord, but do I believe he might speak to me with promises of generations to come?
Again, prayer seems to be awfully full of God’s voice here in the Old Testament times, with mankind listening to what He says and then believing it, and acting on it.
Today, prayer seems to be awfully full of our voice with most of our time spent in crying and petitioning, and very little listening.
Let’s see what happens next…


No comments:

Post a Comment