Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Try to Understand

Matthew 16 asks a question

Do you still not understand? Don’t you remember the five loaves for the five thousand, and how many basketfuls you gathered?

Remember this story?  There wasn’t enough food for the masses, and all that was available was a small boy’s lunch, which Jesus multiplied and fed everyone, until they were satisfied.

What if we had been in that crowd and seen that miracle?  Would we ever again be afraid of hunger or lack?

It’s amazing how we can go out of one miracle into the depths of despair when another need arises.

It’s because we don’t understand.

If we understood who it was that blessed that lunch and made it multiply, we would never again worry or fret about our needs and our future.

I marvel at that story and wish I’d been there to see it.  But I have seen it.  God has provided for me over and over again in ways that I’ve seen and ways I’ve not seen.  And yet I still default into worry when the next need arises…

Why can’t we get it?  What keeps us from understanding?

Remember the five loaves and the baskets that were gathered full of leftovers.

And understand.


No comments:

Post a Comment