Thursday, August 21, 2014

Steadfast

Isaiah 26:3 The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You.

Did you know that steadfast is defined at being “dutifully firm?”

Sometimes my mind gets the best of me on any given day, and I have anything but peace.  It’s often when I’m tired or especially when I’ve been thinking discouraging thoughts.  And the final kill is when I think how “bad” I must be in God’s eyes that my trust declines so rapidly due to wrongful thinking.

But this definition gives me hope.  Being dutifully firm means that when we ALL have days like this, where our minds wander and really drag us down, we rein in our thoughts, because we dutifully owe it to our Lord to do so.

In other words, it’s not awful, we’re not bad, and he’s not disgusted with us when we lose our peace at times.  When we realize it, turn back towards the truth and the reminders of his goodness in our lives, he is well pleased.

It’s not about being perfectly on course every minute of every day.  We’re human, our minds get tired, and they often get full, to where we feel as though we’re overloaded.  God knows that.

And we know that when that happens, we can still remain steadfast, because we’re firm in our faith – the faith that God loves us and cares and rules over our minds.

Lost your peace today?  Rein in your thoughts and receive his peace, as you dutifully trust in your God.


No comments:

Post a Comment