Thursday, August 28, 2014

Profit

Hebrews 4 talks of the Children of Israel who wandered around in the wilderness, unable to enter the place of rest, because of unbelief.

For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard.

These people heard the word of the Lord through their leader Moses, but they chose to not believe it – therefore it did not profit them or help them out.  The word they heard was not united with faith.

I’ve known people and grown up with friends who have attended church all of their lives, they know the word of God better than I do, and they live good lives.  However, there is no faith attached to what they know – so the words they’ve heard become law and result in their own self-righteousness and condemnation of others.

Any time I’m in a place of unrest, I can always trace it back to unbelief.  When I’m worried, it’s because I start to doubt the truth that God cares for me. When I’m lonely, it’s because I’ve chosen to believe the opposite of the truth that He never leaves me or forsakes me. When I’m discouraged, I’m not believing and acting on the goodness of God – my father.  And all of these thoughts weigh me down and send me into stress and frustration.

The word of God is SO true.  But it is null and void in our lives if we do not attach faith to it.


The good news has been preached to you.  Is it profiting you?  Or is it just another piece of information filed away in the folders of your mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment