Saturday, August 23, 2014

None Whatever

Daniel 6:23 Then the king was very pleased and gave orders for Daniel to be taken up out of the den. So Daniel was taken up out of the den and no injury whatever was found on him, because he had trusted in his God.

We know this story – Daniel was thrown into a den of lions because he refused to bow to the king and stop his prayers to God.

I wonder if Daniel was afraid at first, when he saw the lions and heard them roar?  I wonder if he was prepared to die, just in case God left him there with the hungry lions?  Or did Daniel laugh as he was thrown in, unafraid at all of those teeth that could tear his flesh?

I have no idea what Daniel felt, but he was human, so I’m sure there were doubtful thoughts that flew around.  The key here is that he had already shown his trust in God outside of the den – when he prayed to God – against the king’s rules.

Daniel’s trust, it seems, wasn’t in whether or not God would rescue him from the lions, but rather in the solid fact that God was God and there was no other.

That’s the kind of trust I want to have.  I want to be able to face life and go through it without injury because my trust is secure in Him – the one who made me in his image and loved me enough to send his Son to die and offer me eternal life.

God rescued Daniel.  Daniel lived.  And he wasn’t scarred by that emotional scare.

Amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment