Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Rest Against

Psalm 131 is a very short chapter, and one full of great truth.

 Psalm 131 is a very short chapter, and one full of great truth.

O Lord, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me. Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me. O Israel, hope in the Lord From this time forth and forever.


One of the things that most commonly gets me in trouble is when I  meditate on things I don’t understand, mostly regarding to God and his ways.  And it’s really not wise, because in doing so I become proud in thinking I know better than God.  Yikes.

In these times, we need to learn how to compose and quiet our soul.

When children are first born, they get their nutrition from the mother’s milk, but eventually that is not enough, and stronger food is necessary.

As we grow in our walk with Christ, we endure hard things and go through circumstances beyond our control or understanding.  It’s then that we just place our hope and trust in the Lord, much like a child continues to find solace and comfort against her mother.

I love this chapter. It reminds me that he’s God and I’m not, and it’s a fact of life that there will be things too difficult and great for my finite mind to comprehend.


But that fact is not something that alarms God one bit.  In fact, it’s in those times that he wants us to lean in a little closer, as we wait and trust in his divine guidance and provision.

No comments:

Post a Comment