Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Obedience


Colossians 3 says 

Children, be obedient to your parents in all things, for this is well-pleasing to the Lord.  Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart.

I always told my children that I wanted them to obey me, not because they feared me or were afraid of disappointing me, or even because it was the right thing to do.  I wanted them to obey because they had a relationship with me of trust, choosing to believe that I knew best and that life would come from that obedience.

However, when we exasperate (infuriate) our children by pressing them with our thumbs just because we have the power to do so, or we demand their obedience “or else,” we are not cultivating relationship.

Yes, there are times when our children must obey whether they understand or not.  But we are to love our children, train them, require obedience and have a relationship with them.  We can talk, care for, listen to, and instruct them in love.

Yes, they won’t like it at times and they will have to make a choice to obey.

But don’t make it about scaring them or threatening them.  

Make it about loving them and Him, first.


No comments:

Post a Comment