Friday, September 16, 2016

All

Deut 26:16 “This day the Lord your God commands you to do these statutes and ordinances. You shall therefore be careful to do them with all your heart and with all your soul.

This verse speaks volumes, doesn’t it?  It’s not enough to just do what God commands us to do – love him and love our neighbors – but we need to do it with all our heart and soul.

There have been plenty of times I’ve obeyed in a heartless manner. I’ve shown up for duty or service with a resentful heart, a no-care attitude, and an I’d-rather-be-doing-something-else look in my eyes.  I didn’t enjoy the act of service and I’m sure the people I was serving could tell I didn’t want to be there.

There have been other times I’ve obeyed cheerfully, giving to Him and not noticing whether or not the recipient received well or not, just knowing that I had obeyed.  It’s those times that are the most rewarding, knowing that I obeyed out of a grateful heart.

Some days, it’s hard to obey.  When he says speak, we want to stay home and be silent. When he says go, we want to walk the opposite way.  And when he says rest, we want to stay in forward motion until we drop.

Note to self:


Be careful to obey with my heart and my soul….not just my head and my resistant heart…

No comments:

Post a Comment