Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Let Me Hear Joy

More from Psalm 51 (David wrote after committing adultery)
Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice.
 Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.

Hyssop is an herb that is used for cleansing and purification.  It was an outward medicinal application to cleanse a fleshly body.  Sins of the body, like adultery, leave our bodies feeling dirty and disgusting.  But David knew that God could even cleanse that kind of dirt away and make him “whiter than snow.” That’s clean!
David then asked God to allow him to “hear joy and gladness.”
When we’ve sinned, we hear condemnation and shame, two voices that will drag us along through life if we let them.  But when true repentance takes place, our ears will once again perk up to the joy and gladness there is knowing we are clean in His eyes, with our sins gone, to be remembered no more.
Our souls want to rejoice, we want to be glad, and we want to live holy lives.  Sin gets in the way and obscures all of this.

True repentance, acknowledging that we desire God and all of his goodness, results in clean bodies, clean hearts, clean hands, and ears that hear joy once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment