Friday, October 17, 2014

Let it Rule

Colossians 3:15
Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
The verse before this one admonished us to make choices for good…and not evil.  And now we are instructed to “let” or to “allow” the peace of Christ to rule our hearts.
I’ve often forfeited peace by allowing thoughts of doom and despair to dictate my mind, seep into my heart, and ultimately ruin my day.  And this is not wise.  Why? Because Jesus has called us to peace.
So how does one let the peace of Christ rule?
By being thankful.
I’ve found that when I open my eyes in the morning and all I see is the list of chores for the day, the disappointments of dreams unfulfilled, the despair over what might happen tomorrow, I can quickly turn my chin upwards by giving thanks.
I can start by thanking God for the sun that rises every morning, for food to eat that satisfies my rumbling tummy, and for clothes that cover my shivering skin.  I can thank him for a roof over my head, a job that pays the bills, and the ability to walk and run with ease.  The list is endless…it really is.

And when we are thankful, we are choosing to allow his peace to rule our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment