Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Continue On

 Colossians 2
So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
Today is my son’s 23rd birthday.  I raised him the best I know how, I taught him the truth of the gospel, and I tried to live it before him.  But even in my very best efforts, I failed many times.  However, he did – as a child – receive Jesus Christ as Lord of his heart.
Even in that childlike faith that my son placed in his limited knowledge of who Christ was, God took it and has been maturing it throughout my son’s life.  As he is an adult now, married, and seeking to lead his own family, God is strengthening his faith (as he was taught).  He’s growing into a man of God, because God is faithful.
And as my son grows, as he is strengthened, as his faith remains strong, thankfulness will overflow.
Hard times hit all of us, whether we’re looking for a job, trying to start a career, hoping for a baby when there’s no physical way we can, or any other types of miracles we need.  It’s in those faith-building times we see the character of God come to our rescue.
And it’s only when we’ve been rescued and saved that we realize what an awesome God we serve, and we respond with a thankful heart.
In fact, I don’t think thankfulness can overflow until we’ve experienced strengthening as we grow.  And that comes from walking with him, day by day, believing and standing on his word – against all odds.


No comments:

Post a Comment