Thursday, September 4, 2014

Impossible

Hebrews 11 cont’d:

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

I have tried my entire life to please God.  I gave tithes to my church, I stepped up and served when I was asked to do so, I tried to be as good as I knew how to be.  But there were times when being good was not really outlined for me, and at those times I felt lost like a fish out of water. 

When we rent an apartment or home, we try to please the landlord by obeying a list of ground rules, keeping up with the  maintenance of the place, and by honoring their wishes about life in their home.   It’s all about the rules, and we may never even see the landlord if we obey them all.

But God isn’t like a landlord.  He wants a relationship, one of trust.  He wants to take up residence in the home he provides for us, and all he requires from us is faith in his Word, that he exists, and that he is good.

Once we do this, we can rest from all of the lists that we make ourselves, things to check off, in order to please him.

You want to please God?  Trust in Him. Period.


No comments:

Post a Comment